The NewSLU

The Student News Site of Saint Louis University Madrid Campus

The NewSLU

The NewSLU

Profile: Pride Club Leader Lau Dodd

The Spanish History and Theology major “needed a place to belong” during Freshman year. Now they hope to support other LGBTQ+ students.
Lau+Dodd%2C+Pride+Club+leader%2C+in+the+Plaza+Mayor+during+their+21st+birthday+celebration.+
Amelie Van Hess
Lau Dodd, Pride Club leader, in the Plaza Mayor during their 21st birthday celebration.

Generation Z is widely renowned for their growing acceptance and identification with the LGBTQ+ community. According to a survey conducted by Gallup in 2022, 21% of Gen Z adults identify themselves as LGBTQ+. With this comes an increasing presence of queer students on college campuses, and that’s where Lau Dodd comes into the picture. 

Lau Dodd, a fourth-year Spanish History and Theology major at Saint Louis University’s Madrid campus is currently taking the reins by leading one of SLU-Madrid’s newer student clubs: Pride Club. Although they were only appointed leader in May 2023, Lau is cooking up some big plans for Pride Club this school year.

“We have a lot of activities planned for this year,” says Lau. “We want to do stuff like a group night out in Chueca (Fulanita de Tal, anyone?), brunch, trivia night, and campus talks on queer safety!”

Lau is long past their baby gay years but left the state of Texas in 2021 to move to Madrid. They initially hoped to find some solace from growing anti-LGBTQ+ attitudes in Texas but was initially met with similar attitudes on campus.

“Pride Club is important to me because I needed a place to belong during my freshman year when I was facing transphobia from students at school,” Lau recalls.

“Pride Club’s mission is to provide a safe environment for LGBTQ+ students on campus. I hope to give that same support to people.”

If you are a SLU-Madrid student interested in learning more about Pride Club, check out their Instagram account @slumadridpride